Dogs are truly angels sent down from heaven, but even these beautiful beings have issues of their own. The biggest issue that haunts every dog-parent is flea infestation. Unfortunately, catching a flea infestation can be as prevalent as the common cold itself. That is why you need to come up with easy-to-go and safe solutions that can keep those pesky buggers at bay. While the market is packed with tablets and spot-on treatments available for your pooch, not every dog owner agrees with these treatment methods.
For those who seek better and low-maintenance alternatives, the best flea collar could be your answer. Flea collars serve as a long-term solution for infestations that can last as long as a whole year. So, how to pick the best one for your beloved pet? In this guide, we have narrowed down your choices from the popular ones available in the market after an in-depth review of each product. Keeping in mind factors such as customer ratings, durability, shelf-life, active ingredients, and so much more, we have created this list for you to make your shopping experience easier.
Watch this YouTube video to learn more:
Top 10 Flea Collars with Reviews
1. Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs – Best Flea Collar for Large Dogs
This Flea and Tick Collar provided by Seresto is recommended by vets and is convenient to use. It is odorless, which will make sure that you do not feel uncomfortable when you’re near your dog. Since the collar is non-greasy, you need not worry about messy cleaning daily.
One good thing about this product is that your dog need not suffer from flea bites as it works through contact; fleas and ticks die when they come in contact with the collar. It is suitable for dogs over 18 lbs.
2. Rolf Club 3D FLEA Collar for Dogs – Best Flea Collar for Dogs
The Rolf Club 3D Flea collar is suitable for all sizes of dogs from small to large. It has a German formula that is specially designed for flea tick treatment. You are likely to see the effect of the collar within 24-48 hours of applying it. It offers “3D” protection to your pet from fleas, ticks, and mosquitos.
Moreover, your dog would not be affected by the collar in any way as it has a non-toxic tick repellent. There wouldn’t be any smell disturbing you or your dog. You can use the collar for dogs weighing up to 65 lbs. This collar from Rolf Club is very flexible, which would fit the neck of your pet comfortably.
3. Runfleax Flea & Tick Collar – Best Natural Flea Collar for Dogs
The flea and tick collar provided by RunFleax has pretty effective prevention and control measures to protect your dog from fleas and ticks. It has a German formula; only natural oils, such as eucalyptus oil, lavender oil, and linaloe, are used for its manufacturing. The length of the collar is 25 inches. Hence, you can use it for dogs of all sizes.
You can use the clip to attach the collar on the neck of your pet. The collar does not emit any smell. You can comfortably take your dog out when it is drizzling or raining as the collar is water-resistant. On the whole, you do not have to worry about the safety of your dog.
4. GreenFort Flea and Tick Collar – Best Flea Collar for Cats
You can cut off the excess collar and buckle it back again if needed. It contains natural essential oil extracts, which can be very effective on cats. You can rely on the GreenFort Flea Collar for cats even while bathing your pet or in adverse weather conditions.
It can fit into the neck of cats of all sizes and ideal for kittens over 7-weeks old and weighing under 10kg. You will not have to worry about allergic reactions from the collar. It is safe for pregnant cats and dogs.
5. Petsmont Flea Collar for Dogs – Best Flea Collar for Small Dogs
Petsmont Flea Collar for dogs has a unique flea and tick control formulae that only uses plant-based components. It is a good alternative to synthetically made toxic pest control. The hypoallergenic solution is likely to provide protection for 1-year to your dog.
The package has two collars that contain 100% essential oil extracts. These include Peppermint oil, Cedarwood oil, Lavender oil, Citronella oil, and Lemon Eucalyptus oil. You can fasten this collar easily, and your dog is likely to love wearing it.
It has a circular shape, and it won’t create any discomfort to your four-legged pet. The best thing about this product is that it is free of chemicals like nitenpyram, deltamethrin, imidacloprid, fipronil, etc. It is one of the best flea collars for small dogs because it is quite soft and comfortable.
6. Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar – Best Flea Collar for Puppies
This flea and tick prevention collar is 25 inches long that can be adjusted according to the dog’s neck size, which makes it one of the best flea collars for puppies and baby pets. There are 11 natural active ingredients in the collar, which keep these nastry fleas and ticks away from your pet. For the infusion of essential oils into the collar, Israeli patented micro-injection technology has been used. The oils are released from the pores of the collar. Moreover, the collar has a soothing scent of the oils it contains.
It doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients like chemical insecticides and is also certified by MSDS and FDA. It is a 100% natural solution for flea and tick prevention. If you feel the smell is overwhelming at first use, you can leave it out for 1-2 days.
The Virbac preventic tick collar is made for dogs that weigh over 60 lbs. Since it is designed for larger dogs, its collar is 25 inches long. It is very easy to apply and detach it, but it is not suitable for pets that are less than 3-months old. The lengthy collar can be cut easily in case you have excess length left. It shows its results within 24 hours.
This adjustable tick collar is flexible and strong. Therefore, it is very effective for large dogs that are very active and play rough. You can rely on the Virbac Preventic tick collar for up to 3 months for keeping your pets free of ticks. However, it does not work on fleas, which is a common feature of preventive collars.
eZOOlife Glow ECO collar is an effective pest control measure for your pets. This collar is natural and does not contain harmful chemical substances. It ensures that it does not cause irritation or allergies to your dogs. The collar is 24.5 inches long and can be adjusted in order to fit all sizes of dogs. You can cut the extra collar length.
You can rely on this pest control collar from eZOOlife for up to 8 months. It contains natural oils that provide multi-layer protection for your pets. These will protect your dogs from fleas, ticks, lice, larvae, and mosquitoes. It can show its results within 24 hours of application. Your dog can enjoy the rain as this collar is waterproof.
This flea and tick collar from Ultraguard is a great option if you are on a tight budget. It comes in a pack of 2 collars. You can use the collar for large dogs since it is 26 inches long. The dog collar is effective for up to 5 months. Generally, you will start to see the effect of the collar within a few hours. It uses chemical insecticides to get rid of fleas and ticks from your pet’s body.
The material used to make the collar is soft, which ensures that the dog is not irritated by it. While being sturdy, the collar is also stretchy, which makes it comfortable for your pet.
This collar can be used for dogs and cats and contains natural oils like Eucalyptus oil, Lavender oil, and linaloe. It contains no chemicals, which is something many pet owners are looking for. You would not have to bear any terrible smell from the collar that can be discomforting. A German formula based on natural oils makes it effective at killing fleas, ticks, larvae, lice, and mosquitoes.
Since the collar is 25 inches long and can be adjusted, it can accommodate the necks of dogs and cats of all sizes. You can use the clip-on its robust strap to adjust the length of the collar as per your pet. The collar is also water-resistant, which means you can comfortably walk your dog in rainy weather.
Types of Flea Collars
There are three variants of flea collars that you can opt for your pooch which include:
- Repelling Collars: These types of flea collars emit gaseous compounds that help repel pests. These gaseous compounds could either be natural ones or chemical pesticides.
- Liquid Medication Collars: Another variant of flea collar is the one that releases liquid medication into the fat layer of the dog’s skin. It can also spread the medication with the use of the natural oils in your dog’s skin.
- Hybrid Flea Collar: As suggested by the name, this collar is a mix of the two described above. It does the work of both repelling and getting rid of the infestation from within the dog’s skin.
Factors to consider when buying flea collars
Your flea collar needs to have certain important features to provide complete protection. Here are some things you need to consider before buying the same for your pet:
- Chemical/Natural: Your flea collar is either packed with natural oils or chemical pesticides. Given the general rule, natural variants might be less effective as compared to the chemical variants (with some exceptions). However, it is better to go with natural alternatives as they come with minimal side-effects to your pooch.
- Water-Resistance: Your pooch won’t stay dry for long. One time or the other, he/she might take that big dip in the pool or go out in the rain. That is why you must pick flea collars that are designed to be water-resistant; they can be as effective even with occasional soakings.
- Adjustability and Size: Given the fact that flea collars are available in varying sizes, you need to pick the one that fits your pooch perfectly. If you are in doubt, make sure you measure out the circumference of the dog’s neck.
- Protection Period: Another thing you might need to check is the period for which your flea collar provides protection. While some flea collars work for months, some might expire in 30 days or so.
How to use the flea collars?
To use the flea collars in the best way, you need to ensure that it securely fits the nape of the neck of your pooch. Before making your purchase, make sure you measure the circumference of your dog’s neck and order accordingly. Make sure you place the collar on your dog’s neck when the fleas are highly active.
Must-Know Tips about Flea Collars
- Always check your flea collars for any ingredients that you or your dog should avoid at all costs.
- Always use disinfectants to wash off the chemicals from your hands after dealing with a flea collar.
- Do not place the flea collar immediately, give it some time to air out and get rid of that overpowering smell of the new product.
- Keep the fit snug, not tight.
- Always keep an eye for adverse reactions and seek a vet immediately under such cases.
More useful buying guides:
Top 10 Best Flea Collar: 2019 Buyer's Guide & Reviews
Written by editor