|Willy ( Now goes by Wyly ) – Willy was the first rescue to enter Dog Habitat on Halloween 2009. Due to his lack of teeth, hair and health he was put up on death row. He entered our program an “Old Man” and left a Show Stopper! It took us 5 months to bring Willy into his glory and every single bit would have been unatainable without sponsors like Stella and Chewy’s, Zukes, Ultra Oil and Pet Kelp.|
Buster - Late one afternoon we got a call from ACC, they had a 3 year old Jack Russel / Rat Terrier mix that was on the Euth. List for the evening. Rob and Bea being suckers for Ratties weren’t going to let this happen. One problem Buster had Kennel Cough and it was a Holiday weekend so there was no room at Unleash for a sick Dog. Now they needed a foster in less then 2 hrs for this little guy. One word…..Facebook! Posting messages to everyone we know secured us a foster with 20 minutes to spare. Saved from the Euth list Buster arrived the next day happy and full of energy. Due to his condition we were not able to test him with other dogs and he was not able to be neutered right away. We quickly found out that lack of prior socialization, nerves and testosterone made it very difficult for Buster to socialize. He was so over stimulated he couldn’t walk past another dog on the street with out barking intensely.
- Buster would run 3 miles a day with his foster mom on the weekends.
- During the week while at Unleash he would do 6 miles a day on the treadmill.
- Once we determined Buster’s triggers our staff trainer began working with him on simple but useful commands.
- About 1 month in Rob brought his Rattie Emilia to visit Buster. She is a very calm girl that won’t tolerate any nonsense. The result? Emilia, Rob and Buter took a 3hr walk to the farmers market and back. This marked a huge break through for Buster and a Milestone for the DHR Team.
- Then Buster was Neutered!
- Buster began improving in leaps and bounds
- To everyone’s surprise at the end of Labor Day Weekend BUSTER was co existing and playing with 14 other dogs at Unleash.
Below are some videos of Buster.
|Scout – Ladies and Gents meet Scout. Scout is an Italian Greyhound that has come to us. She has some serious skin and allergy issues and is quite under wieght, however she is truly a loving soul, that will be amazing when we are done with her. What would a new year be without the start of a new project. Welcome to the Habitat Scout!
- Day 1 Scout is seriously allergic to Chicken. We won’t be trying that again.
- Day 2 Scout is now on strictly Stella and Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose and recouping fabulously.
- Week 2 Scout is putting on wieght her eye infection and soars have cleared up and her ear is still healing.
On a side note she appeared on LXNY NBC this week. Go Scout!
UPDATE: Scout has been adopted! She looks fantastic you can see an updated photo of her on our Adoption Stories page